Another family favorite recipe from our Italian grandmother is the stuffed red pepper! This recipe requires you to kick up the heat using hot Italian sausage in the mixture, and trust us, you won’t be disappointed.
The filling is delicious on its own (we have to kick everyone out of the kitchen so they don’t eat all the mix!).
This recipe is super easy as well, as it requires only a handful of ingredients like red peppers, hot Italian sausage, and rice, and everything gets mixed together at the end to create the awesome stuffing for the peppers. How easy is that?
Adding the provolone cheese on top locks in the flavor and creates a nice crispy crust, too. (If you can’t tell we love cheese).
Love our recipe? Tag #improvoven to your own creations on Instagram or Twitter!
- 1 lb ground hot Italian sausage
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 4 red or green bell peppers (depends on preference)
- ¼ medium white onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 can tomato sauce (our favorite is marinara or a can of sauce made from San Marzano tomatoes)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the rice and water in a saucepan and cook to package instructions. Set aside.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook onion until translucent, about 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and sautee for 1-2 minutes. Add the hot Italian ground sausage and cook until evenly browned.
- Remove and discard the tops, seeds, and insides of the bell peppers.
- Arrange peppers in a baking dish with the hollowed sides facing upward.
- In a bowl, mix the browned sausage mixture, cooked rice, 1 can tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Spoon an equal amount of the mixture into each hollowed pepper. Top each pepper with a slice of provolone cheese.
- Bake 20-30 minutes in the preheated oven until the peppers are tender.